D1.3 GP practice nurse/ nurse practitioner/ respiratory educator/ respiratory nurse
Specific aspects of care provided by these health professionals in COPD may include:
- respiratory assessment, including spirometry and pulse oximetry;
- implementation of, or referral for, interventions such as smoking cessation, sputum clearance strategies, oxygen therapy;
- skills training with inhalation devices;
- education to promote better self-management (eg, medications and response to worsening of symptoms);
- organisation of multidisciplinary case conferences and participation in care-plan development; and
- assessment of the home environment.